Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 27: Walking... Sydney to Melbourne

It is amazing how quickly one can adapt to new surroundings. Back in South Africa, a HAT was something buried quite deep in the back of my cupboard, reserved for taking out once or twice a year for holiday. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of sun in Joburg, but by mostly travelling by car, one doesn't get much incidental exposure to it.

This all changed very quickly in a city where using public transport is a way of life, and walking is the means of getting from front door to station, and station to everywhere else. So I quickly got into the habit of hat-wearing around the streets of Sydney.

Well-prepared... for Sydney!


As such, I felt quite prepared for Melbourne as I added a scarf, light jersey and umbrella to my list of everyday things. After all, everyone knows you get all four seasons in one day in Melbourne! What I REALLY should have added is a morning jacket, convertable boots-to-sandals and a fold-up silk coat - similar to silk sleeping bags that fold up into the size of a small koala, but keep you warm like a bear. That would have done much to help me quicker on the way of appreciating the marvels of Melbourne instead of scurrying from shop to shop in search of a warm coat. ANY warm coat!

In retrospect, I should have done the maths when packing my suitcase. Really, it is not difficult: if a city has an average temperature of 26°C for January, and the previous week registered temperatures in excess of 36°C, it HAS to balance out with maximum temperatures of 16° this week...

I guess this bi-polar weather is just one of the things one has to get accustomed to in Melbourne, like someone said, Melbourne has so much MORE weather!

A definite upside: you get to wear your boots and coat throughout the year, even with a little summer dress!




No comments:

Post a Comment