Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 39: Who is the Aussie?

Australia Day. The official word on Australia Day is as follows: On Australia Day we come together as a nation to celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. It's the day to reflect on what we have achieved and what we can be proud of in our great nation. 
On Australia Day, over half of the nation’s population attend either an organised community event, or get together with family and friends with the intention of celebrating our national day. Many more spend the public holiday relaxing with family and friends.

A friend of the family was terribly shocked earlier this week when asking me what our plans were for Australia day, and I initially replied 'Nothing special, I think.' Upon realising my mistake, I did remember the family mentioned having a barbeque together, although I didn't realise it was a special event barbeque. 

In South Africa that would be called a 'Braai', even if you're English-speaking, and of course it would be on a real fire. So then, I can relate to the day after all, even not being Australian. It sounds very much like National Braai Day in South Africa. Except, of course, that it is not officially celebrated, though the sentiment behind it is quite similar. 

Not surprisingly, I have found myself thinking about the Australian identity multiple times over the past few weeks. Many South Africans have asked me, 'What is Australia like?' and then a bit more cautious, 'What are the Australians like?' 
For a start, no-one has hit me over the head with a bat simply because I'm South African. To be blatantly honest, Australians living in Australia seem to like South Africans living in Australia more, than South Africans in South Africa does Australians in Australia. (Now I expect a few people would want to hit me over the head with that bat! But it is simply my observation.)

More pertinent for me, what does it mean to be 'Australian'? In an attempt to start answering this question - as no doubt it will take longer than a few weeks to do that - I first have to identify the group I'm studying. It should be easy: Find Australians, get to know them. 

The first 'Australians' I met, I immediately discarded. They are family, or extended family-in-law. Or friends of my husband. Yes, they are Australian citizens, but in my mind they are all still very much South African. The neighbours? Hm... the one is a smuggler and the other Bulgarian. Originally, that is. Friendly lady at the bank? Nope, New Zealander. Even on our morning drive up Mt Tamborine, we found The Polish Place!

Yes, we have also met the Bruce's and Sheila's - the real Australians - remarkably friendly and helpful people. But are they the only real Australians? Isn't part of the identity of Australians, exactly the fact that one in four were born elsewhere? 

And so I close with two photographs: The one from Australia, the other from South Africa. But which is which?



No comments:

Post a Comment