Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 32: Who has more Weather?

I was planning to write about the meaning of life, love and everything else today, but the weather got me distracted!

The comment about London got me wondering: how DOES London weather compare to Melbourne? More than once I have heard people say, 'Why do you want to go live in Melbourne? You might as well go to London!'

Well..... let the numbers speak...

Melbourne, Cape Town & London: Temperature and Rainfall (Jan - Dec)


Summer: London only has 3 months with average max temperatures above 20ºC, where Melbourne has 6, Cape Town 8. Melbourne does get a bit hotter at times though than CT or London...

Winter: Average minimum temperatures during winter are very similar between Melbourne and Cape Town - and these all above 5ºC. London winters are MUCH colder and longer - average minimum below 5ºC for 5 months! (And of course the record minimum drops to -10ºC...)

Also note the avg maximum winter temperature in London is also about 5º colder than Melbourne!

Sunshine: Cape Town wins hands down on the sunshine hours though - not surprisingly. But Melbourne still beats London!
















1 comment:

  1. just left Melbourne to return to South Africa. Not sorry,but did agonise over the decision to return; I gave it ten years (and two other years in London) and the weather, the culture, the lifestyle and mostly the sunshine will always be the winning aces for me; and most of all, I feel more a part of this country with its vibrant history than any other country I have tried to live in.

    ReplyDelete