Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 30: The purpose of work

Going out for lunch must be one of the compelling reasons why people work in a place like Melbourne. And with 'going out', I literally mean, going OUT. Out to enjoy the beauty of one of the beautiful parks close to the city centre. (That's assuming of course, that at some point of Melburnion life you get tired of shopping during your lunch-break. Or more likely, that certain budgetary considerations put constraints on exactly HOW many times per week you can do that.) The point remains, having a lunch-break is almost as good a reason as any to have a job.

That is the first conclusion I came to after meandering through Fitzroy Gardens today shortly after 12. The gardens are simply beautiful: huge trees, green stretches of lawn, lush greenery, criss-cross pathways and multiple ponds tucked away between the greenery.

As an added bonus, you are bound to find some activity that you can involve yourself in - apart from eating lunch. There are people jogging, some others getting a session of personal training, even a group of elderlies practicing Tai Chi. The are ducks to feed (or chase if you're under 3 years old), a conservatory to hide between flowers, and of course a multitude of other people to observe. I am sure there must even be some hidden artists there as well. They are everywhere in Melbourne. They ARE Melbourne.


Another stroller in Fitzroy Gardens... did he bring lunch?




As can be expected, all this watching people exercise and eat lunch, gradually took its toll on us, and very soon the hunger-pangs drove us back to the streets in search of a bite. We headed off to the one street we know to have Things Happening. Collins street. Which brings me to my second conclusion: if you have enough clothes, you need less food.

There is conclusive evidence walking down Collins street in support of this theory.

As we started walking down from the park's side, we found ourselves flanked by one designer boutique after the other. Prada, Hermes, Gucci... to name but a few!!! Every window we looked at a-glitter and glam with price tags I would happily pay - if they were in Rands. The street was crowded by men in suits and women wearing high heels and flaunting handbags worthy of the street we're in. Only one thing was amiss: none of them were carrying any lunch boxes, or any signs of having eaten lunch at all.

Progressing through this rue magnifique, I started feeling a sense of despair. There are no restaurants. No little cafes. Not even a doughnut shop. Only fashion outlet with door guards wearing suits and earpieces after the other. I would even welcome sight of the golden arch!

I started looking at the people passing by more closely. Please! just any sign of food! But no, they have higher things on their minds. They are filled with thoughts of haute couture.

I sighed in deep relief. On occasion some people have commented on the size of my wardrobe, or expressed genuine surprise that I NEED another jacket, or pair of shoes. Don't I have enough already?

But clearly, if I can walk down Paris-lane with the main thought in my head being FOOD, I still have a long, long way to go before anyone can accuse me of being a couturista!



Location:Melbourne

1 comment:

  1. Surely eating food and looking good in haute couture are mutually exclusive. I think you soon discovered the delights of Melbourne's alleyway cafes after this?

    ReplyDelete