Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 17: Climbing Mountains

It is the unfortunate reality that we didn't come to Australia to have one long extended holiday. Nice though that might sound, it would really result in boredom. Eventually. But most likely a very flat wallet long before boredom finally sets in. To prevent this misfortunate state of affairs, it is generally recommended to look for employment. A job. It has been well-proven to keep one occupied for about 8 hours a day, though it is possible to negotiate for 10 or even 12 hours per day if you are really determined. (It is worth noting that such hours certainly cure boredom, but it is also known that a certain degree of boredom is necessary for restful sleep. It really is a fine balancing act.)

Now the good thing about moving countries, is that you get a fresh start. You get to decide again in a big way where, and HOW you want to spend those 8 or 10 or 12 hours. The whole world has been turned upside-down in any case. AND right-side left. You're now... Down-under. The far-East is suddenly the near East, and the Middle-East is really West.

In this process of getting your compass aligned again, you suddenly find your inner-compass spinning wildly as well. What DO I really want to do? Work for a big corporate? Small start-up? Or start an own business? What about a new career? Should I study again? Maybe now is the chance to reach what I have always wanted. Maybe NOW I can become a musician or an artist or a writer or an architect or a neurologist or a physicist and write Dr in front of my name. And wear sterile white jackets and do maths all day, get a crease on my forehead and forget people's names.

I pause.

Suddenly I realise I've been dreaming of climbing the mountains I saw as a child. They seemed so majestic and grand. The greatest mountains in the world. The only ones worth climbing.

I look around.

I see mountains around me. Different ones than what I dreamt of. But... beautiful. Powerful. Impressive. And full of little quirks and unexpected delights. And most surprising: I am further than I thought. The views are already beautiful!

I smile.

And send my CV off.

No comments:

Post a Comment